Friday, June 10, 2011

Rizzle Mizzles (Roommates)

I love you this much.
    You may have noticed that I have not written a new blog for at least fortnight(two weeks), and that is because I have been really busy. It's not that I don't love you my faithful readers(HI MOM AND DAD!), I love you all just as much as pie...but that's not the point. Two weeks ago I moved into my new house, and life has been a tad hectic since then. Not only were my sleep habits drastically changed, my eating habits were affected also. It seems that food costs money, but more than that you actually have to go to the store and buy food to eat it. Needless to say this took me many days to figure out, and included me living on mammoth chocolate chip muffins for a few days.
I don't look like this when  I clean.
     Then of course there was unpacking everything. My car was completely full when I pulled into the driveway, and I had to carry all of it down a flight of narrow stairs into my room. Luckily my roommates were home and helped me carry my things, but I still had to find places for everything. I am a very organized individual and this was a rough time for me. Psychologically I don't believe I will ever recover from the disarray my possessions were in, but now they are all in their proper place and I got my Gone with the Wind collage up on the wall! Once all these things were accomplished I still had to find ways to occupy myself, so I did the only time consuming activity I know, cleaning. I set to work on the kitchen and created a recycling area in the garage for our overwhelming amount of recyclables. Once the counters were clean and the floor mopped, I had to find more things to clean. Nothing was safe from my cleanly clutches, and soon I found myself standing outside our living room window perched on a folding chair with a bottle of windex in my hand and prickly bush lodged in my shoe. It became clear that I had a problem.
Thou shalt not steal thy neighbors pew
     You may be asking yourself, where were the roommates in all of this? The answer...cowering in the rooms. When I clean I tend to be...territorial. The best comparison I can make is when you go to church and you have that one place you always sit, and you're fine when you're sitting there but your whole world collapses when someone takes your spot. Sure you get over the initial shock and close your gaping mouth, but you are thinking angry thoughts about the person who invaded your space. Not to dissuade anyone from church, but that's the philosophy I used to hold and that's the best way to tell you how I clean. What you need to take away from this, is no one is allowed to be in my space when I clean.
FOUND IT!
     This week my endless quest for cleanliness was interrupted, by a job. On Monday I started my summer job, but it is a real grown up job. I work 8-hours, pack my own lunch, have an ID, AND punch into a time- clock. I work in the costume studio of a summer theater program called Trollwood as a stitcher. This means I sew things together. While it may sound simple, it is not. There are pleats, gathers, pin stitches, top skirts, bottom skirts, and I can't be certain but there is probably an entrance to Narnia midst all the seams we have to sew. Even though it is a real grown up job, it's a cool grown up job and I feel like a champion because I make stuff. Since most of my day is spent battling cotton and a sewing machine I christened Scarlett, when I come home I don't feel like cleaning. My roommates save me from myself by distracting me with their cool technology, small fury pets, and endless quests for the meaning of life. We have come really close.  For instance, Kate and I named the lawn mower last week and her name is Betty White.
My food...not yours
     So you see, there has been a lot going on and I haven't been avoiding writing on here...it just kind of happened that way. I have learned many things in this past fortnight: washing windows is dangerous, it's perfectly respectable to bring PB and J sandwiches to a grown up job, guinea pigs make weird noises, but the most important lesson I have learned is always write your name on your food.

No comments:

Post a Comment