Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rubi's Grand Adventure

   Today as I was at the check out at Joann Fabrics, I noticed a holiday Rubiks cube for sale, and it brought me back. Come with me if you would, almost a year back in time. It was January 2010 and I was a starry eyed freshman, new to the English and Theater departments(if they only knew then what they know now).My first semester roommate had returned home to Norway and my current roommate Kate had just moved in.With her came Rubi, and the most intense four days of my life.
     I had given her Rubi as a Christmas present because of this freakishly disturbing book we both had read for our English class.She got it into her mind that she wanted a Rubiks cube just like the main character, so I gave her Rubi and she gave me a blanket with the penguins from Madagascar on it. Anyway, Rubi was sitting in between our desks and I decided I was going to solve her, how hard could it be? After a lengthy discussion with Kate, she permitted me to begin the solving process...and what a process it was.
    The Rubik's cube came with instructions, and I am good with puzzles so I figured I could knock that bad boy out of the park in no time. I set forth toward my new goal with a spring in my step and a song in my heart. Gently placing the instructions on the table in front of me I held the cube in both hands.After discerning all the abbreviations and the directions to turn the cube I began. My mind became a whirlwind of Rubik's cube. A constant pattern of FRONT RIGHT, TURN CLOCKWISE,FRONT LEFT,SPIN!!! ran through my mind. The cube began to possess my thoughts in every waking minute. When I was with a group of my friends I couldn't even tell they were there, I was so obsessed with this cube. The first day passed and I had achieved one row of like colors.It took an act of sheer will power to set down the cube and go to sleep.
    My dreams were haunted with cube patterns, and so I didn't sleep very well. The next morning I jumped out of bed and made a beeline straight for Rubi. Kate got out of bed and just looked at me with concern in her eyes.Muttering to myself I held tightly to the cube. I can't remember for sure, but I assume that I went to class that day. And so passed the second day.
So CLOSE!!!
     Day three began in a frantic blur of cube and hands. Kate was now beginning to grow concerned that she had moved in with some kind of Smeagol who kept muttering "My Precious!!!". All of my thoughts were consumed with cube. I couldn't hold a proper conversation with anyone so I withdrew to my room. During the third day I began to despair, life was losing all meaning, I could no longer hear the song in my heart for the turning of the cube had gotten into the way. These were tough times, my friends.Thus ended the third day.
And the crowd goes WILD!!!
    The fourth day began in darkness...at this point I was pale gray, emaciated, and had lost all of my hair(this may be an exaggeration).Holding the instruction sheet in my hand I folded it an unfolded it, crinkled it up and smoothed it out. I would pick up the Rubik's cube make a few turns and sit deep in thought for long periods of time. A flame of hope began to grow within me as the sides slowly started to match up. I was shaking with anticipation and giddy with lack of sleep. My mind began to spin faster and faster, when suddenly the world stood still. I slowly turned the cube and everything clicked into place...I had solved the Rubik's cube.
I sat in disbelief with the gorgeous puzzle in my hand for several minutes. After I had recovered from the shock I ran out the door and right into my roommate.Somehow with a mixture of gestures and incomprehensible shouts she understood that the cube was solved. Together we rejoiced, and so began Rubi's Grand Adventure. 
Even cubes have bad habits
I'm such a Proud Parent!
  In a fit of joy we took Rubi around the campus, put her in funny poses, and took pictures of her. Even though it was freezing outside I was too excited to care, I had solved the Rubik's cube. As we placed Rubi into the hands of a statue I tenderly let her go, like a proud parent I stood back and took a picture of my beloved. Like a parent I had watched my cube go from a confused child to a solved adult, unlike a parent I could just shove her in a box when I was done for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment